Monday, February 10, 2020

Oscars 2020 - Final Thoughts

"Once you get past the 1-inch tall barrier of subtitles, you will be introduced to so many more amazing films." - Three-time Academy Award Winning Director Bong Joon-ho

Parasite has cemented itself as not only a history maker, but also as one of the greatest Best Picture winners in the Academy's history, and the category's first non-english victor. Winning 4 Oscars altogether, also including a surprise win in Best Director over Sam Mendes who had been winning everything else, Bong Joon-ho's brilliant film proved to be the favorite of even subtitle-hating voters, cementing its status as a soon to be classic that will looked up to for years to come. Also, shout out to Bong's translator Sharon Choi, who's film about the awards season is one I'll be watching for!

The rest of the show's winners proved to be mostly satisfactory as well, albeit pretty predictable.

First, however, let me start with the 4 acting winners, easily the most predictable wins of the bunch, and honestly a little underwhelming this year considering who they were up against. Joaquin Phoenix won Lead Actor for Joker, a win that will certainly be divisive years from now as it is currently, though I'm glad that he took this one even with his competition, although he's been better before (*cough* The Master *cough*). Then RenĂ©e Zellweger won Lead Actress for Judy, and this is where I get disappointed. She was great, despite her film being more of the opposite, but when compared to Saoirse Ronan in Little Women and Scarlett Johansson in Marriage Story she was easily forgettable. Finally we have our Supporting winners Brad Pitt and Laura Dern, with Pitt winning for a great performance, but one I don't think should've won over Joe Pesci or Al Pacino, and Dern winning for one I just don't see the awards love for, but at least she has an Oscar I guess.

Tech category winners, on the other hand, were pretty deserving. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood won Best Production Design for easily the best recreation of golden-age Hollywood ever, with sets that glowed with personality and charm; a very deserving win in my book. And Little Women very thankfully took home Best Costume Design, another well-earned win, though I more happy that the film won at least something than I am that it won for costumes specifically.

Film Editing was awarded to Ford v Ferrari, which was...a decision. Look, I think the film is fine, but the editing outside of the racing scenes was nothing special, and it honestly should've trimmed its runtime down more. I think editing was far more notable in Parasite and The Irishman. But I am fine with it surprising in Sound Editing over 1917, so I'm not too bitter towards it.

Speaking of 1917, the film many expected to be tonight's big winner only to be Bonged, the film unsurprisingly took home Best Cinematography, giving Roger Deakins another deserving Oscar. It also won for Best Visual Effects, which were basically unnoticeable in the film, which is typically a sign that good effects were present. Sadly, Thomas Newman was shut out again, with Joker winning Best Original Score instead, which had a good score, but I swear, Newman could resurrect Beethoven and the Academy wouldn't care.

Finally, Jojo Rabbit was this year's solo screenplay winner, getting comedy filmmaker Taika Waititi his first win, which. And even though I didn't love the film, I must admit that I am happy for the guy.

Welp, that all of the wins that each of the major nominees this year had! Except for The Irishman of course, which won for.....uh.....


Man, this hurts. It's no secret at this point that Scorsese's latest was my favorite film of last year, and watching it get rejected not only by the Oscar, but by other awards shows as well has been rough. It's surprising too; given how far Netflix went to campaign and how beloved it's been online, but I suppose it's what it is.

Thankfully, Bong Joon-ho once again made the night, as during his acceptance speech for Best Director, he quoted and praised Martin Scorsese, prompting the entire audience to give the legend a standing ovation. In all honesty, that's probably better than any Oscar win can ever be.

See you next year folks, and in the meantime I'm gonna be saving up my money to buy 10 copies of The Irishman's Criterion Collection release.

No comments:

Post a Comment